This recipe makes a very creamy sauce that doesn't require a roux, and it's very satisfying without being too rich. You can play around with the add-ins to suit your taste. A favorite combination of mine is peas and tuna, and sliced hot dogs or bratwurst is always delicious. The original recipe calls for roasted tomatoes and a sprinkling of toasted bread crumbs, which also sounds very good.
Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from CookingLight.com
Back to the top
- 1/2 a head of broccoli florets
- 12 ounces large elbow macaroni or medium shells
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cooked chicken thigh, shredded
- Place broccoli florets in a microwavable container. Cover with water, and microwave on 'fresh vegetable' setting just until tender. Drain; set aside.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water 7 minutes; drain. Return macaroni to pan; place over medium-low heat. Add cheese and remaining ingredients; cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Stir in broccoli and chicken.
Makes about 8 1-cup servings